Sunday, February 8, 2009

Every Little Bit Helps

This past week has truly been a tidal wave of new experiences and emotions. After being in Phnom Penh only seven days, I began to question if my presence here was really making a difference. There is so much violation against human rights and intense poverty everywhere I look, that it can be really overwhelming at times. But I started to realize that this type of thinking was only going to wear me down, making it impossible for me to help at all. I've already fulfilled my purpose in coming to Cambodia, now all I have to do is bring my presence and love into each situation and to every person I meet, and I realize that is more than enough. But it took a few days of seeking out positive change for me to find this perspective!

I decided to dedicated this past week towards finding other organizations and non-profits that are working to make a difference, so I wouldn't feel quiet so alone in this uphill climb. And of course I drew some of the most amazing people into my life! I found a beautiful fair trade shop that sells silk purses and scarves, and it's owned by a woman who became a land mine victim at only twelve years old! During the short time that the Khemer Rouge came into power, land mines where randomly planted all throughout the country. After the party fell, the millions of mines were left scattered everywhere with no map or indications of the danger zones. This has had two devastating impacts on the country; one being that many innocent people have have had their arms and/or legs blown off, something which is still happening throughout the country to this day! The second impact is that so much of the country side can no longer be farmed because people are afraid of setting off explosions. There are some rice paddies and fruit grown closer to the cities, but most everything else is imported in, making food in the stores and at restaurants more expensive than it should be. Although the government is working towards de-mining Cambodia, people who live on the country side (which is a huge percentage of the population) fall prey to this tragedy very frequently! Which brings me back to the little silk store I found with this beautiful woman sitting on the floor without any legs gathering pieces of fabric and greeting me with the most warming smile! I spent the afternoon with her and her husband hearing about their story and all the work they are doing to help other disadvantaged people in their country. They have a workshop where she trains Cambodians how to make the beautiful items they sell in the store, and above all pays them fair wages, as well as houses and feeds each one! They are by no means well off people, but have dedicated all of their spare time and money towards empowering others to provide for themselves rather than begging out on the streets. And paying their workers fairly is a big deal, especially since there are so many sweat shops here. There is one factory just down the street from the orphanage and everyday I watch as a stream of young people ages 14-18 walk down the dusty path at noon to get their lunch at the little market. Of course this was shocking at first glance, but then I realized that these people are considered the lucky ones who have jobs. I heard a statistic the other day that every year 900 students graduate from the main university here in Phnom Penh, and only about 100 of them actually find jobs! Very disheartening...

Ok, but this blog is supposed to be about the uplifting changes that are taking place, not dwelling on the negativity... So let me tell you about another organization I have come across that is helping the inner city youth. It's called Friends International and it's main goal is to get children and youth off of the streets and train them in skills for getting a job. Education is also important, but they realize that these kids need to have the tools and support to make money so they don't go back to begging, stealing, prostitution and working at the trash dump. They are taught all sorts of crafts and have a store where their beautiful work is sold, again at a fair price. I was in the store today and was blown away at how professional and beautiful everything was! I bought a shirt and plan to go back soon to visit there little spa to get my nails done! They also have a restaurant where the children are taught how to cook and serve food. I have been there a few times and the young waiters are so cute and excited, not to mention the food is wonderful! It feels so good to be spending money on such a good cause, knowing that these children are being supported in haveing a really bright future through hands on training.

You really might be shocked at how many children street beggars there are here, at least I know I have been! But the saddest part is, most of the time these children are being exploited by their parents or some adult figure who has forced them into a life of begging because they know people are more likely to give to a homeless child than to an adult. I sat in a park one day watching as lazy fathers and mothers laying under a tree cast their shoeless young children out into the street to beg for money, only so that they could run back to their parents in excitement, handing over the bills as if it were a miraculous achievement. I found myself so angry at these adults who should be fulfililng their role as a provider, rather than exploiting their young children who really should be playing tag and skipping with their friends. I made a decision not to support this unfair behavior by not giving money to begging children on the streets, but each time I'm approached my heart breaks to see the sadness in their eyes. I know it's not their fault and they do not deserve to be punished for their care takers ignorance. A person once told me that it's a common phrase here to say that a Camobodian child is born as an old person because they do not get the luxury of having a carefree upbringing. I don't like this saying one bit, and I think that every child has a right to their innocence. With some helpful suggestions from my mom, I decided to always carry around a package of cookies with me in my bag so I can give it to children on the streets when they approach me. I know it's not the most nutritious treat in the world, but it's something they can't turn around and sell or give to their parents. And while they stop to enjoy the sweet taste of an Oreo cookie, they can be just a kid again for a few minutes! Now I don't leave my guest house without a pack of cookies in my bag, and each time I hand one out I'm rewarded with the most amazing smile I have ever seen. A child is a child no matter where they are born in the world!

So much more to write about but I should stop here, I could go on for days! I'm looking forward to telling you all about it in person when I come home in a few weeks. I love you all and hope you are doing really well!
Love
April

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I have come to think about how many people that help others and support people in need often do not make a good living, but often they do make living good. Being paid in smiles and thanks is much more rewarding than being paid in money. I am very glad you have been able to see that up close. It is a very bitter sweet picture you paint but also very inspiring to get out and help more. You can also not only measure the impact you are making just by the people you help, but you also have to think about the joy, love and support all the people you have impacted will spred along their lives. Basicly your impact x10 and so on. Best wishes and safe journey for the rest of your time and travels.

Ryan

P.S. I love the cookie idea, it sounds like the perfect solution. Your mom sounds like a great person and obviously has rubbed off onto you:-)

Mom said...

April,
Leave it to you to try to find the good in every situation you face. You are setting such a fine example of the good in humanity. You are a shining star! Those precious little ones you are meeting on the street have hope because of you and those like you. My reward for the patience I have excersized is that in 2 weeks I can see you again, hold you and hear all your stories in person! I can hardly wait!
Love,
Mom

Mom said...

Hello my darling April,
How sweet this day it is: February 24th 2009. We will have our precious girl home! Please April, do not despair. You have seen and done more for the people of India, Thailand and now Cambodia then any young adult or grownup that we know. Be proud my darling; you have left a VERY good impression of a young American that came there to help them. And that's exactly what you did. They will not forget you so soon. They helped you too in giving you knowledge and culture that you never dreamed of. We would like to help the whole world my precious, especially you, you're so compassionate, but it is not possible. The world has to help themselves. You have given them your very best. And now stay safe and come home to us so I can hear your lovely voice saying, "Hello Grandma!".
You have my heart! You are my heart! I love you as high as the sky and as deep as the ocean and more.
Grandma Shirely